My Aviation Journey!

Hey everyone!

For everyone who doesn't know who I am my names Billy Guckian and I am a senior in the aviation program at Eastern. I'm 24 years old and live in White Lake, MI which is about 45 minutes away from campus on a good day. I work over at Pentastar Aviation as a line technician at Oakland County International Airport and the job has taught me a lot over the years of being there. What I do over there is fuel aircraft, put aircraft in the hangar, help customers with bags, deicing aircraft and many other jobs. So what got me into the aviation industry? What got me into flying? I am here to answer all of the burning questions that you might have.

My journey started back when I was in community college getting my gen eds out of the way. I originally was going to school for criminal justice because I always wanted to do something with law enforcement. Back then the economy was taking a downturn and I was looking at other options because my gut was telling me that this wasn't the right path for me. I decided that I was going to give aviation a shot by becoming an Air Traffic Controller just because I've grown up in the world because of my father. He told me that I would have to get my private pilots license in order to become a controller and once I went up on my discovery flight, my whole perception on flying changed forever. I ended up getting my private back in April of last year and now at the end of instrument going into commercial I am enjoying every minute of it. I hope to be graduating in December of 2018 with my major being in aviation flight science.

My future goals for once I get my diploma would be becoming a certified flight instructor over at willow run for a little bit so I can build my time to get into the airlines. I think with all these instructors teaching me how to fly and growing my knowledge even further that I can do the same thing for other kids coming into the program. After earning my time as a CFI and even getting my CFII, I really don't have a set place where I'd like to go for the regionals or even the majors. My main goal is just to become an international pilot and being able to see the world. With this day being in the pilot shortage, you can get a job anywhere in the industry as long as your willing to put the work in. I can say that I'm ready for what the future brings to me.

The topics I'm really intrigued about learning in this class would be the Chinese competitor to Boeing and Airbus. Both these two companies have been competing with each other to create the best airplane and now with China entering into the mix only time will tell if the airplane will enter into the US market. Another topic I'm also interested into learning would be the pilot shortage because the airlines are hurting so bad for pilots. Most airlines are upgrading First Officers into Captains in a shorter time frame while trying to get their airplanes flying. It'll be interesting how the airlines is going to deal with this uprising issue and trying to get more people involved. With the guest speakers however, I am interested on what topics they bring into class and teach us what is going on in the world of aviation today. Here's to a great class and hope everyone reaches new heights during our time in this class!!!!

Bill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog